In all the hoopla over the special election for the override for our schools, a snippet from the Newburyport Daily News sat in my “research” pile unattended.
Or maybe it was just too depressing to even think about it.
Yes, Todd Freemont-Smith of Wills Lane LLC got the go ahead to develop the back of the Wheelwright property. Mr. Freemont-Smith will be putting in a road and 4 houses on the back of this historic High Street land on Newburyport’s “Ridge.”
The article was in the Newburyport Daily News, May 22, 2007.
But there have been some good things happening for historic preservation in Newburyport, MA.
A demolition permit was requested for 6 Calswells Court a c 1800 Georgian period house. The owners, after talking with the Newburyport Historical Commission and the members of the Newburyport Preservation Trust, are now restoring this historic asset. Yeh.
A demolition permit was also sought for the house next to the Methodist Church on Purchase Street. That permit has been withdrawn as well, and the home is also being restored.
Fighting for one historic asset at a time in Newburyport, MA.
Probably neither the house on Purchase Street or the house on Calswells Court would have been saved if it were not for the 12 month Newburyport Demolition Delay.
The Demolition Delay has provided an opportunity to have a dialogue with owners of these two historic properties. And once the value and options were understood, both owners opted for historic preservation.
But we need more in Newburyport to protect our historic assets. A Local Historic District would be themost comprehensive way to protect the city’s architecture and streetscapes.
The city of Newburyport, MA actually has a Local Historic District Study Committee, which is a very big deal for Newburyport, MA.
And there is a fundraiser for the Local Historic District Study Committee being provided by the Newburyport Preservation Trust.
Local Historic District Fundraiser
Market Square c 1906
The fundraiser will be held this Saturday, June 2, 2007, from 4-6 PM at the historic house of one of Newburyport’s most illustrious writers, J.P. Marquand.